Chief Dr Innocent Chukwuma OFR.
Chairman, Innoson Group
Chief Dr Innocent Chukwuma was born Oct 1, 1961. He holds an Honorary Doctorate Degree in Business Administration (DBA) from Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu and also conferred Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) by University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) and Doctor of Management Science from Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) Kaduna. Dr Chukwuma is the founder and Group Chairman of IVM Innoson Group and an entrepreneur of high repute.
Through his ingenuity he transformed the small trading business (Innoson Nig Ltd) he started in 1981 after his education to a corporate organization of international recognition. He is a man endowed with high business acumen that dazed his contemporaries when he became the first private Nigerian to locally assemble and subsequently manufacture motorcycles as well as vehicles in Nigeria.
Under the chairmanship of Dr Innocent Chukwuma, Innoson Nig Ltd moved from trading and importation to manufacturing of motorcycle parts and also leading to the development and establishment of other companies namely;
1. Innoson Tech. & Industries Co. Ltd Enugu: This is reputed to be largest plastic manufacturing company in West Africa with over 150 lines of products which includes; High Quality Household and Industrial Plastics, Health & Safety Accessories, Storage Containers, Fixtures & Fittings, Electrical Components & Accessories etc
2. General Tyres & Tubes Co. Ltd Enugu manufacturers of High Quality Tyres &Tubes and currently the only company manufacturing motorcycles tires and tubes in Nigeria currently.
3. Innoson Wood Industrial Ltd which is also located at Emene Industrial Area Enugu are producers of wood and processing for local as well as for exports.
4. Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Company Ltd: This is Africa’s 1st vehicle manufacturing company. IVM’s manufacturing and assembling plant is located in Nnewi, Anambra State. IVM with manpower strength of 1500 workforce currently has an installed capacity to produce ten thousand (10,000) units per annum. Its Production lines includes; High Capacity City Bus, safe and cost-effective Mini & Midi Buses, Pick-Up Trucks and Garbage Collecting Vehicles, SUV’s and Sedans. Recently the company signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Nigerian Air Force for the development and promotion of joint activities to sustain maintenance of Nigeria Air Force Air Assets and other associated Aerospace Ground Equipment (AGE) to enable the Nigerian Air Force to continuously carry out its constitutional obligations to the Nation. And equally they are in collaboration with the Nigerian Army Authority for the manufacture and supply of Armored and Bullet-Proof Vehicles.
5. Innoson Communications Ltd, manufacturers of set top boxes for digitalized television, etc.
Honours/Awards and Recognitions
Nigeria Centenary Honour Award by Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, GCFR President, Federal Republic of Nigeria, in recognition of his role as the first indigenous local vehicles manufacturer in Nigeria and employer of labour March 2014
Conferred him the National Honours of the Officer of the Federal Republic (OFR) on November 2011 by His Excellency, President Goodluck Jonathan GCFR
Conferred him the National Honour of the Officer of the Order of the Niger (OON) in December, 2008 by President Umaru Musa Yar’dua, GCFR
Conferred him the prestigious National Honours of the National Productivity Order of Merit (NPOM) in 2010 by His Excellency, President Goodluck Jonathan, GCFR
Distinguished Member, Vision 20:2020 Business Support Group by His Excellency former President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua in 2009
Installed as Chancellor of Imo State University, Owerri March 2016
Awarded Doctorate Degree in Business Administration (DBA) by Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu in November 2011.
Awarded Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) by University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) January 2014
Award of Honorary Fellow of the Nigerian Society of Engineers with No. HF0021 – November 17, 2015
Eminent Person of the year by Heads of Federal Establishments and Parastatals Forum, Anambra State for Implementing the Auto Policy of the Federal Government by producing the First Made in Nigeria Cars, December 2014
Grand Fellow, Nigerian Institute of Strategic Management, July 17, 2014
Fellowship of Rocana Institute of Technology, Enugu for his outstanding contribution to economic development in Nigeria by providing job opportunities to numerous Nigerians through his chain business, December 2014.
Entrepreneurial Ambassador by Nigeria Arise, August 30, 2014
International Merit Award for Outstanding Promotion of Peaceful Co-existence and Support for God’s Work by International Communion of Charismatic & Evangelical Bishops/Apostles Inc of Nigeria in November 2013
The Honorary Life Vice President of Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines & Agriculture (NACCIMA) on November 23, 2013
Auto Personality of the Year Award, by Guild of Motoring Correspondents (GMC), December 2013
Most Outstanding Indigenous Entrepreneur in the Manufacturing Sector by Enugu Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture (ECCIMA) in January 2012
Entrepreneur of the Year by Wesley University of Science and Technology, Akure, Ondo State, March 2012
National Council Member, Manufacturers Association of Nigeria 2012
Special Merit Award for contributing to the Development of Commerce and Industry in Nigeria by Nnewi Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture, September 2012
The Maiden Platinum Award by Ndigbo Lagos on November 8, 2012 for his massive investment and development of Igbo land.
Conferred Special Presidential Merit Award 2011 by the Nigerian Society of Engineers
Conferred Industrialist of the Year by Onitsha Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture December 2011
Distinguished Entrepreneurship Award for Indigenous Excellence in automobile Manufacturing by The Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture (NACCIMA) in 2010
Granted Award of Excellence by the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) in October 2008
Meritorious Award by the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) in 2008
Awarded the Industrialist of the Year by Nigerian Union of Journalists (NUJ) Enugu State in 2006
Vanguard Newspaper Most Innovative Entrepreneur by Vanguard Media Limited, March
Silverbird Extraordinarly Award- Silverbird Man of The Year 2014
Conferred with Nigeria’s Young Global Champions in Manufacturing
by THISDAY AWARDS in 2011
Winner of The Sun Business Person of the Year Award for 2011 by The Sun Publishing Limited
State Government Honours
Conferred Special Honours Medallion by Anambra State Government for his remarkable achievements in Commerce and Industry in 2011
Justice of Peace by Enugu State Government in 2006
Chief Dr Innocent Chukwum OFR is happily married to Mrs Ebele Chukwuma and blessed with 5 children